Monday, August 10, 2009

ALL YOU - Grocery Challenge - Summary

Well, I didn't keep up my blog records on our challenge progress, but I did keep records of our experience so I will summarize it now!

WEEK 1
Breakfasts $3.48 (QT coffees)
Lunches during the week $31.79
Dinner during the week $0.00 - we made dinner Mon-Thurs!!
Friday Dinner $8.67 (Little Caesars Pizza/Breadsticks)
Beer for guys night out $7.54
On Saturday, we went to the zoo and splurged on lunch $18, also spent $2.21 at the Gas station on the way to the zoo.
Saturday night - Chris and I had a date night at the mall. $9.26 for food, $0 for the movie tickets.
Sunday we went to a family BBQ - we purchased the buns $4.57 and I bought a soda for $1.05.

This week I shopped at ShopNSave on Thursday. We didn't really "need" anything this week, but My sister needed some items for a BBQ with her sorority so she asked me to help her plan the budget/shopping list. She only had about $30-$35 of items needed. Our grocery store gives a $10 discount on a $50 purchase on Thursdays. So, I added some items we could use to get the total to $50. We ended up with $59.87 in groceries before coupons. After coupons, the total was $24.39. Her sorority reimbursed me the $24.39 and I turned in the receipt for a $10 rebate. $10 money maker!!

Total spent on food Week 1 - $76.57
***********************************************************************

WEEK 2
Breakfasts $7.22 (QT coffee, and a Hotzi the morning my ds was sent home sick)
Lunches during the week $21.22
Dinner during the week $0.00 - we made dinner Mon-Thurs again!!
Friday we had out-of-town family visiting and we treated them to our favorite - El Maguey's $30.38
Saturday we had a Poker event at our house and we ate from those goodies all day long. I did spend $4.05 on vegetable oil and marshmallows for baking. And I spent $3.78 on candy at Target for the tournament.

This week I shopped at ShopNSave on Thursday. All of the food for the tournament was reimbursed by the players. I split up the shopping list into two orders and I added some items we needed to get the totals to $50. We ended up with $102.60 in groceries before coupons. After coupons, the total was $69.04. I was reimbursed the full amount and I turned in the receipt for a $5 rebate.

We also spent $10.69 at Save-A-Lot on bread, milk, and fruit this week.

On Saturday, we picked up our Angel Food boxes (the standard box and the Fruit/Veggie box) that we had paid for last month $0.00

Total spent on food Week 2 - $77.34
***********************************************************************

WEEK 3
Breakfasts $3.48 (QT coffees)
Lunches during the week $35.88
Dinner during the week $10.76 - Subway Monday - we made dinner Tues-Thurs
Friday night we had El Maguey's again $19.26 (my sister ate dinner with us too)
Saturday for lunch we had Wendy's $15.29 and for dinner we went to a Family BBQ - We got a soda and coffee from the gas station $1.85
Sunday - Grandma treated us to lunch after church - dinner was frozen pizza

This week I stockpiled Poptarts from Target - 13 boxes for $3.26
I also purchased Capri-Sun (5 boxes) from ShopNSave for $3.35 (these are part of a $25rebate)
We bought bread, milk, fruit, frozen pizza from Save-A-Lot $12.40

I went to ShopNSave on Thursday. We got $50.44 of groceries for $5.79 total after coupons!! I turned the receipt in for the Kelloggs Fuel For School Rebate of $10. $4.21 Money Maker!!!

Total spent on food Week 3 - $101.32 (a little over budget...)
***********************************************************************

WEEK 4
This week we lost our groove! It was so VERY hot here over the weekend and even the thought of cooking was unbearable..
Breakfasts $3.48 (QT coffees)
Lunches during the week $28.19
Dinner during the week $10.85 - Subway Thursday - we made dinner Mon-Wed.
Friday night - Chris and I had a date night at Steak-N-Shake $15.20 (we forgot to use our $5 giftcard...)
Over the weekend, we spent $39.49 on food!! Ouch, no family BBQs or parties to spread the budget this week. I did purchase fruit at Schnucks on a giftcard from my sister's dad - that was a nice gift!

Thursdays ShopNSave trip - $53.47 of groceries, $17.65 after coupons and I received $16 in catalina's for next week!

I also placed next month's Angel Food order this week $28.00

Total spent on food Week 4 - $142.86 (whoops...)

What a Challenge! It is great to know we can do it if we put our minds to it. We just got really sloppy the last week. I think everyone needs a break sometimes. The coupon world can really be hard work!!

No comments: