Friday, August 8, 2008

How I got started.....

Okay, I knew this question was coming.... I just wasn't completely sure how to answer it. It just has kind of evolved since around April. I will give a shot at explaining more about how I am able to get all this great stuff so cheap!

The first step is to make sure you have a Subscription to the Sunday Post Dispatch (or access to the coupons from someone else!) You can also purchase the Sunday paper at Dollar Tree for $1 on Sundays. The Post Dispatch is where I get the majority of my manufacturer coupons.

The second step is RESEARCH! Start watching the weekly ads for sales on the items you usually purchase. I personally shop at Walgreens, Walmart, and Target. It is very rare that I go anywhere else. And, since I have started couponing, I rarely go to Target and Walmart anymore. The key is to never buy anything that isn't on sale. (When you first get started, you will have to, but just wait...) When an item is on sale, it is also the best time to use a coupon on it. It just so happens that Walgreens has the sale ad, 7-day store coupons in the sale ad, a monthy Easy Saver coupon booklet, and monthly rebate deals. On top of all that, you can add a manufacturer's coupon. That is pretty much how this all works.

I started out on MoneySavingMom.com - She does a wonderful job of explaining how Walgreens works. (She also has a lot of information about CVS, but I don't have that store here) On the left-hand side of her blog is a section titled "Beginners Start Here". So, that is what I did. Here is the link to Walgreens 101

Each week MoneySavingMom posts deals from CVS, Walgreens, and some others. I started by reading her Walgreens deals and getting the Free-After-Rebate Items to start my gift card balance.

It didn't take long for me to find HotCouponWorld. Now I spend the majority of my planning time on this website, but I wouldn't have understood very much of it had I not started with MoneySavingMom.

There is enough reading at Walgreens 101 to get everyone started. I will post again soon more details of my saving adventures!

No comments: